Gospel: The Yoke is Easy

Today marks the Fourteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time. The Gospel will be read according to St Matthew.

At that time Jesus exclaimed, "I bless you Father, lord of heaven and of earth, for hiding things from the learned and the clever and revealing them to little children.

Yes, Father, for that is what pleased you to do. Everything has been entrusted to me by my Father; and no one knows the Son except the Father, just as no one knows the Father exvept the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.

'Come to me, all you who labor and are overburdened, and I will give you rest. Shoulder my yoke and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. Yes, my yoke is easy and my burden is light.'"


The Gospel this week centers on what we can expect to receive when we decide to let Jesus enter our lives. Some people might think that the great commission is only for the church, so that it will continue to exist generations after generations; that believing in Jesus is just an obligation every Sunday, or that it is just a ritual for the Faithful to attend.

The truth is that evangelization pertains to something else. Jesus is seeking people to know him, especially those who are suffering and burdened, so that when they learn who he was, then they will believe because their souls found rest in him.

Everything about Christianity should be learned from what Jesus did, and this Gospel reading offers us consolation that if we carry Jesus' yoke, the burden will be light. That although we are carrying our own problems and we are sustaining the weight of it on our shoulders, but if we believe in Jesus, it will become light and bearable.

This is what evangelization is all about. Our mission is for people to be enlightened from their burdens and to be quenched from their spiritual thirst.

x----x

The Gospel is brought to you by Salesforce.

Comments

Popular Posts